Thursday, June 5, 2008

Cajun Shrimp Casserole

Of course, blogging is completely new to me, so I'm not sure exactly what I want this blog to be or how long it will keep my interest. It's to chronicle what we're doing, but since I'm always cooking I can't bear to leave out the food! There are lots of incredible food blogs with gorgeous photos and indexes of recipes. As much as I love to eat, I don't think I'll ever be willing to put that much work into a blog. but I do want to include recipes that we've liked. If nothing else it will help me remember recipes I've tried and liked! I know my tastes are eclectic and veer to the vegetarian side. So, igore my recipes if you hate garlic, spice, or vegetables. Also realize that I CAN NOT follow a recipe. Honestly, I really don't think I've followed a recipe 100% in many years. I don't know what's wrong with me. Even when I say I'm going to follow it, I change something. If you have any insights into what childhood trauma caused this obsession, I'm open to any ideas. In the meantime, here's a recipe that we had for the second time this week (with my changes, of course). I took a plate over to Ch.'s orchestra teacher. He's single, no girlfriend, and had had an operation. Conveniently enough, after offering him dinner I found out he lives 2 minutes away. He said he loved it!

CAJUN SHRIMP CASSEROLE
Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
1 large red onion, chopped
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
8 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups frozen sliced okra
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of shrimp soup
1 can healthy request cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup dry white wine (can sub chicken broth)
1/2 c. chicken broth
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 cups cooked long-grain rice
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I always use Pecorino Romano - more flavor)
Garnishes: quartered lemon slices, fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs

Preparation
Peel shrimp; devein, if desired.
Put a little oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients; sauté 7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in okra, lemon juice, and salt; sauté 5 minutes. Add shrimp, and cook 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in soup and next 4 ingredients until blended. Pour into a lightly greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until casserole is bubbly and cheese is lightly browned. Garnish, if desired.

Note: Unbaked casserole may be made one day in advance. Cover and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking as directed. To freeze unbaked casserole, prepare as directed, omitting Parmesan cheese. Cover tightly, and freeze. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered, at 350° for 50 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese, and bake 10 more minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.

Yield---Makes 12 servings
Adapted from:

Elaine Jeansonne, Cottonport, Louisiana ,
Southern Living, OCTOBER 2005

No comments: