Thursday, August 14, 2008

Zucchini-Orange Bread



\The zucchini has arrived in our garden! Zucchini casserole, zucchini pancakes, zucchini chocolate cake, zucchini cake with caramel topping, etc. But the following recipe is one that I've now made twice, and we all really liked it. It's a very dense bread and the first batch didn't make a very tall loaf. Reviewers on the CL site said the same. So I doubled the recipe along with all my other changes. As always, if you'd like the original , go to Cookinglight.com. As an FYI, if you're interested into baking with more whole grains, you have to check out the KING ARTHUR WHOLE GRAIN BAKING cookbook. It is an amazing resource! One tip I picked up was to stir up my wheat flour before scooping in order to incorporate some air into it. Then scoop lightly into your measuring cup. After you do that a few times, you realize how packed down your flour can be.

ZUCCHINI-ORANGE BREAD
(adapted from Cooking Light)

Makes 2 8" x4" loaves and 1 mini-loaf


Ingredients
5 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup oat flour (I just grind my own)
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup egg substitute (or 3 eggs)
1 egg
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 c. plain, nonfat yogurt (I put in 1/3 c. oil and fill to 3/4 c. with yogurt)
2 tablespoons grated orange rind (get a Microplane!)
2 tablespoon fresh orange juice
4 cups shredded zucchini
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted in the oven (I like them quite dark)
Cooking spray

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. To prepare bread, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and next 3 ingredients (through baking soda) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk; make a well in center of mixture. Combine granulated sugar and ingredients through juice). Add sugar mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in zucchini and walnuts. Divide batter between 2 (8 x 4–inch) loaf pans and one mini-loaf coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans on a wire rack; remove from pans.
3. To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons juice, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle evenly over warm loaves. Cool completely on wire rack.

2 comments:

McKay and Jessica said...

This is going to sound really weird but two nights ago I had a dream about this recipe and all the reasons why I should make it. haha. So yesterday I did! I made some substitutions because I don't have oat or wheat flour. It was really good.

you should post another good recipe! I want to make it!

Foodqueenja said...

Jessica,

I'm glad you liked the bread. When you're ready to start trying wheat flour, make sure you get a WhisperMill grinder. It's so easy to use. You just pour your food storage wheat in and out comes wheat flour.